The BIM Dictionary Editorial Team
Updated Oct 19, 2019
The BIM Dictionary includes hundreds of Dictionary Items. Initially collated by the Head Editor according to set criteria, these items are gradually being translated into an increasing number of world languages. The translation process is a critical part of this foundational BIMe Initiative project (a Work Package - refer to 103in) and is organised according to set priorities.
The overall editing process (translation, localisation and continuous updating) follows a number of editing protocols and is managed collectively by the BIM Dictionary Editorial Team - composed of:
- Head Editor: Dr. Bilal Succar of ChangeAgents AEC, Australia
- Assistant Editor: Dr. Marzia Bolpagni, Senior BIM Advisor at MACE, United Kingdom
- Language Editors (multiple - named below)
- Country Editors (multiple - named below)
- Community Coordinator: Ms. Lorena Luedy, Student at Instituto Superior de Engenheria de Lisboa, Portugal.
Multiple Language Teams (Editors, co-Editors and independent Reviewers) are currently active and have either translated multiple sets of priority BIM Dictionary terms or are in the process of doing so.
Active Language Teams
The following Language Teams and Language Editors have their work available online - in order of availability:
- Spanish Language Team: Mr. Victor Roig Segura (Editor) of Bimetric Lab, and Mr. Angel Esteve (co-Editor) of the Ministry of Health, Social Services and Equality, Spain.
- French Language Team: Dr. Erik Poirier (Editor) from Groupe BIM du Québec/buildingSMART Canada. Erik is assisted by Vincent Carignan of BIM One Inc., Montreal, Canada, Mr. Dimitri Damiaud of CAPEB, France, and Ms. Aurelie de Boissieu of Grimshaw, United Kingdom.
- ♦ Arabic Language Team: Mr. Omar Selim (Editor, Egypt) and the following co-Editors from the BIMarabia team: Ms. Sonia Ahmed, Ms. Najwa Hassan, Mr. Motasem Albanna, and Mr. Ahmad Lutfi. External review is conducted by Ms. Siham Barakat of the Australian Council for Educational Research, Australia.
- Lithuanian Language Editor: AProf. Vladimir Popov (Editor) and AProf. Tatjana Grigorjeva (co-Editor) of Vilnius Gediminas Technical University, Lithuania.
- Russian Language Editor: Ms. Marina Korol of Concurator, Russian Federation.
- Chinese Language Team: Dr. Vivi Qiuchen Lu (Editor) of University of Cambridge; and Mr. Alexander S.J. Zhou (co-Editor) and Dr. Long Chen (co-Editor) of Imperial College, United Kingdom. External review is conducted by AProf. Jack Cheng from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST).
- German Language Team: Mr. Stephan Liedtke (Editor) of BIMsource.de /BitsAndBricks.solutions (Germany). Stephan is supported by the following Co-Editors: Mr. Samir Alzeer of BAM Germany, Germany, Mr. Christopher Goersch, Research Associate at Aalto University, Finland, and Mr. Ramon Lorenz of mrma, Germany.
- Catalan Language Team: Mr. Victor Roig Segura and Xavier Pallás of Bimetric Lab, Spain.
- Persian Language Team, AProf. Farzad Pour Rahimian, (Editor) from Northumbria University and the following Co-Editors: Mr. Saleh Seyedzadeh, PhD Candidate at the University of Strathclyde, United Kingdom, Mr. Moslem Sheikhkhoshkar of BIM Solutions, Iran, and Ms. Arghavan Akbarieh, PhD Candidate at the University of Luxembourg.
- Croatian (Hrvatski) Language Team: Mr. Damir Mance (Editor) of the University of Zagreb. Damir is assisted by the following co-Editors: Hrvoje Jukić of Arhitektonski studio Helman & Jukić, Karlo Seitz and Marin Stojanović of the University of Zagreb. Review is conducted by Ms. Tea Helman Jukić of Arhitektonski studio Helman & Jukić. All team members are from Zagreb, Croatia.
- Greek Language Team: Dr. Georgios Kapogiannis (Editor) from the University of Nottingham Ningbo China, and Ms. Aikaterini Prevelianaki (co-Editor) of Anglia Ruskin University, United Kingdom, Ms. Nina Vlachogianni (co-Editor) of Alstom, United Kingdom, and Ms. Maria Tsekoura (co-Editor) of CERN, Switzerland.
- Italian Language Team: Dr. Silvia Mastrolembo Ventura (Editor) of. University of Brescia, Italy. Silvia is supported by Dr. Silvana Bruno (co-Editor) of Polytechnic University of Bari, Italy; Dr. Giovanna Aracri (co-Editor) of University of Calabria, Italy, and Ms. Isabella Selmi (co-Editor) of Italferr, Italy. External review is conducted by Dr. Marzia Bolpagni of MACE, United Kingdom.
- ♦ Czech Language Team: Dr. Petr Matějka (Editor) from the Czech Technical University in Prague (CTU) and Ms. Štepánka Tomanová (co-Editor) from the Czech BIM Council (CzBIM), Czech Republic. Other members of core translation team from CTU or CTU-BIMLab are: Dr. Zdeněk Rudovský, Dr. Josef Žák, Mr. Robert Bouška, and Mr. Martin Stránský. The translation of BIM Dictionary is supported by Czech Ministry of Industry and Trade and is in accordance with TNK152 of Czech Office for Standards, Metrology and Testing.
- Portuguese Language Editor: AProf. Eduardo Toledo Santos, University of São Paulo, Brazil. Eduardo is assisted by Prof. Regina Ruschel of UNICAMP, Fernanda Machado of Autodesk, Ivo Mainardi of Metrô de São Paulo, Dr. Ricardo Codinhoto of the University of Bath (UK), and Fabio Sato of Filippon Engenharia, Brazil.
- Bulgarian Language Editor: AProf. Boyan Georgiev (Editor) of the University of Architecture, Civil Engineering and Geodesy (UACEG), Bulgaria. Boyan is kindly supported by – all from UACEG - Assistant Prof. Gergana Antova, Faculty of Geodesy and Vasil Tanev, PhD Candidate at the Faculty of Civil Engineering. Internal review will be conducted by AProf. Mihaela Kouteva-Guentcheva, Faculty of Civil Engineering.
- Turkish Language Team: Ms. Burcu Esen Barutcu (Editor) of Drees & Sommer GmbH, Germany. Burcu is supported by AProf. Umit Isikdag (co-Editor) of Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University, Turkey, and Mr. Dursun Furkan Capkin (PhD Candidate, co-Editor) at Yildiz Technical University, Turkey.
- Hungarian Language Team: Mr. István Csúsz (Editor) of Brick + Data Ltd. István is supported by AProf. Mihály Szoboszlai and Mr. Adam Kovács of Budapest University of Technology and Economics, and Mr. Attila Gyulai of Lechner Knowledge Center, Hungary. External review is conducted by Mr. Bence Dudas of DudaStudio Ltd.
- Slovenian Language Team: Ms. Mojca Roženičnik Korošec (Editor) and Dr. Andrej Tibaut (co-Editor), University of Maribor, Faculty of Civil Engineering, Transportation Engineering and Architecture, Slovenia. External review is conducted by Dr. Tomo Cerovsek of the University of Ljubljana.
- Romanian Language Team: Mr. Dumitru Minciu (Editor) of Novart Engineering, Romania. Dumitru is supported by Ms. Alexandra-Ioana Giurgiu (co-Editor) of AECOM Romania, and Mr. Simon-Mihail Doxan (co-Editor), Ms. Elena-Romina Ilina-Posea and Mr. Bogdan-Mihai Barabula (co-Editor) of Novart Engineering, Romania. The Editors are assisted by Prof. Ovidiu Suciu.
- Albanian Language Team: Mr. Endriol Doko (Editor) of Novigos Tecno, Italy and the following co-Editors: Mr. Ergi Zyberaj of VELZ:architetti, Italy, Ms. Matilda Cenolli of Studio Kami Architects, Italy, and Mr. Enea Kotsa of Bee Engineering, France. External review is conducted by Prof. Gjergji Islami of Polytechnic University of Tirana, Albania.
Note: The diamond ♦ identifies the team(s) that have completed a full translation (more than %95) of currently available terms.
New Language Teams
The following Language Editors and teams have recently joined the BIM Dictionary project. Their contributions will soon be available online - in alphabetical order:
- Estonian Language Team: Mr. Jaan Saar (Editor) of the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications of Estonia and Mr. Aivars Alt (co-Editor) of Tallin University of Applied Science and Mr. Janek Siidra (co-Editor) of Estonian Academy of Arts and Ms. Miina Karafin (co-Editor) of Nordecon AS.
- Vietnamese Language Team: Dr. Ngoc-Binh TA (Editor) and Mr. Phan Thanh (co-Editor) of the Institute of Construction Economics - Ministry of Construction of Vietnam, and Mr. Tuong The Bien (co-Editor) of HSD Viet Nam Co.
While speaking the same language, some countries may have different denotations for the same term. To monitor these differences and suggest market-specific terms, Country Editors will be progressively appointed. These currently include the following Colleagues:
- Brazil Editor: AProf. Eduardo Toledo Santos, University of São Paulo, Brazil.
- India Editor: Mr. Amarnath CB, PhD candidate at National Taiwan University. Amarnath is supported by Mr. Ranjith K Soman, PhD Candidate at Imperial College London, and Mr. Arunkumar Shambu, BIM coordinator at Turner Construction.
- Nigeria Editor: Mr. Lot Kaduma of Design Marks Concepts, Nigeria, Lot is supported by Dr. Ahmad Mohammad Ahmad of Qatar University, Qatar, Mr. Mansur Hamma-adama of Robert Gordon University, United Kingdom, Mr. Moses Itanola of AIICAD Consult Ltd, Nigeria, and Mr. Onyema Udeze of Blaze Academy, Nigeria.
- Ghana Editor: Mr. Richard Acquah of Pentecost University College, Ghana. Richard is supported by Dr. Abdul-Majeed Mahamadu of University of the West of England, United Kingdom, Dr. Karen Banahene Blay of Loighborough University, United Kingdom, and Mr. Antwi-Afari Maxwell Fordjour of Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong,
Additional Country Editors are currently sought for the UK, Australia, USA, South Africa, Mexico, Chile and Portugal.
In addition to current Editors, the BIM Dictionary is actively supported by a number of generous individuals. Many participate in blind reviews and others often send their improvement suggestions by email or social media. While we don't know the names of all those who've been silently assisting us in delivering this project, we'd like to acknowledge the names we do know - many thanks to:
Joining the Editorial Team
There are two main ways to join the BIM Dictionary's Editorial Team:
- Forming a new Language Team
- Joining an Existing Language Team
Forming a new Language Team
The BIM Dictionary is actively seeking editors for new languages and welcomes enquiries about this. To become an Editor for a Language Other Than English (LOTE), you'll be kindly asked to demonstrate your ability to:
- Build a team of co-Editors (minimum three people) of adequate competency in both English and the LOTE;
- Identify one or more independent reviewers of high-standing in the BIM Domain (e.g. a construction industry academic) and/or a LOTE linguist; and
- Review and approve the Language Editor's role requirements as identified in 801in BIM Dictionary Editor's Guide.
A BIM Dictionary Language Team may be a group of passionate and well-informed individuals; an academic institution; a community of practice; or a government department. Preference is given to those who contact us first and satisfy the above selection criteria.
Joining an existing Language Team
To join an existing Language Team, please contact the Editor of the language you'd like to contribute to. It will be up to the current LOTE Editor to vet the abilities of contributors and invite them to become part of their team.
To nominate yourself or your institution/organisation to become a Country Editor (e.g Portuguese need a Brazil Editor and a Portugal Editor), please contact the Head Editor directly.
Other ways to assist
In addition to joining the Editorial Team and helping in translation, localisation and editing (Work Packages A1.12 and A1.13), there are other opportunities to join the BIM Dictionary project; please click here.