The BIM Dictionary Editing Team
The BIM Dictionary includes hundreds of Dictionary Items. Initially collated by the Head Editor according to set criteria, these items are gradually being translated into an increasing number of world languages. The translation process is a critical part of this foundational BIMe Initiative project (a Work Package – refer to 103in) and is organised according to set priorities.
The overall editing process (translation, localisation and continuous updating) follows a number of editing protocols and is managed collectively by the BIM Dictionary Editorial Team – composed of:
- Head Editor: Dr. Bilal Succar of ChangeAgents AEC, Australia
- Assistant Editor: Ms. Marzia Bolpagni, PhD Candidate at Politecnico di Milano, Italy
- Language Editors (multiple – named below)
- Country Editors (if distinct from the Language Editors)
Multiple Language Teams (Editors and their chosen volunteers of co-Editors and Reviewers) are currently active and have either translated multiple sets of priority BIM Dictionary terms or are in the process of doing so.
Active Language Teams
The following Language Teams and Language Editors have their work available online – in order of availability:
- Spanish Language Team: Mr. Victor Roig Segura and Xavier Pallás of Bimetric Lab, Spain
- French Language Editor: Mr. Patrick Riedo of ObjectifBIM, Switzerland
- Arabic Language Team: Mr. Omar Selim (Editor, Qatar) and the following co-Editors from the BIMarabia team: Ms. Sonia Ahmad, Ms. Najwa Hassan, Mr. Motasem Albanna, and Mr. Ahmad Lutfi
- Lithuanian Language Editor: AProf. Vladimir Popov (Editor) and AProf. Tatjana Grigorjeva (co-Editor) of Vilnius Gediminas Technical University, Lithuania
- Russian Language Editor: Ms. Marina Korol of Concurator, Russian Federation
- Chinese Language Team: Dr. Song Gao (Editor) of Tongji University; and Mr. Weidong Li (co-Editor) of Shanghai Urban Construction Design & Research Institute, China
- German Language Team: Mr. Stephan Liedtke (Editor) of BIMsource.de, Mr. Dimitry Demin (co-Editor) of algotecture, Mr. Sebastian Dietrich (co-Editor), Master’s candidate at Bauhaus University, Germany, and Mr. Adrian August Wildenauer (co-Editor) of pom+ Consulting AG, Switzerland
- Catalan Language Team: Mr. Victor Roig Segura and Xavier Pallás of Bimetric Lab, Spain
- Persian Language Team, Dr. Farzad Pour Rahimian, (Editor) and Ms. Maryam Asgari (PhD Candidate, co-Editor) from the University of Strathclyde, United Kingdom; Mr. Saeed Banihashemi (co-Editor), PhD Candidate at the University of Technology Sydney, Australia; and Ms. Samira Garshasbi (co-Editor) of Tehran Azad University, Iran
- Croatian (Hrvatski) Language Team: Mr. Damir Mance (Editor) of the University of Zagreb and Ms. Tea Helman Jukić and Hrvoje Jukić (co-Editors) of Arhitektonski studio Helman & Jukić. The Editors are assisted by Karlo Seitz and Marin Stojanović of the University of Zagreb, Croatia
- Greek Language Team: Dr. Georgios Kapogiannis (Editor) and Ms. Aikaterini Prevelianaki (co-Editor) of Anglia Ruskin University, United Kingdom, and Ms. Maria Tsekoura (co-Editor) of CERN, Switzerland
Note: The Star identifies the team(s) that have completed a full translation (more than %95) of currently available terms
New Language Teams
The following Language Editors and teams have recently joined the BIM Dictionary project. Their contributions will soon be available online – in alphabetical order:
- Czech Language Team: Mr. Petr Matějka (Editor), Dr. Zdeněk Rudovský (co-Editor) and Dr. Josef Žák (co-Editor) from the Czech Technical University; also Ms. Stepanka Tomanova (co-Editor) from the Czech BIM Council, Czech Republic
- Hindi Language Editor: Mr. Ravi ray Wood of The Design Partners, United States
- Italian Language Team: Ms. Marzia Bolpagni (Editor) PhD Candidate at Politecnico di Milano. Marzia is supported by the following co-Editors: Chiara Rizzarda and Claudio Vittori Antisari of Antonio Citterio Patricia Viel; Silvia Mastrolembo Ventura, a PhD Candidate at Politecnico di Milano; Franco Pittoni of FP Opera; and Prof. Federico Pedroni.
- Filipino (Tagalog) Language Team: Mr. Rexter Retana (Editor) of RSP Architects Planners & Engineers, Singapore. Rexter is supported by Mr. Rizlin Truya and Ms. Rhea Mae Tiongko, The Philippines.
- Malay (Bahasa Malaysia) Language Team: Ms. Zarina binti Mohd Ali (Editor) and her co-Editors: Ms Alia Najaa binti Md Nor, and Mr Khairul Amri bin Abdul Aziz, from the Centre of Modern Languages and Human Sciences, Universiti Malaysia Pahang (UMP), Malaysia.
- Portuguese Language Editor + Brazil Editor: AProf. Eduardo Toledo Santos, University of São Paulo, Brazil
- Romanian Language Editor: Mr. Radu Gidei of Grimshaw, United Kingdom
- Slovenian Language Team: Ms. Mojca Roženičnik Korošec (Editor) and Dr. Andrej Tibaut (co-Editor), University of Maribor, Slovenia
- Turkish Language Team: AProf. Umit Isikdag (Editor) of Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University, Turkey. Umit is supported by Ms.Burcu Esen Barutcu (co-Editor) of AEC3 Deutschland GmbH, Germany, and Mr. Dursun Furkan Capkin (PhD Candidate, co-Editor) at Yildiz Technical University, Turkey.
- Vietnamese Language Team: Dr. Ngoc-Binh TA (Editor) and Mr. Phan Thanh (co-Editor) of the Institute of Construction Economics – Ministry of Construction of Vietnam, and Mr. Tuong The Bien (co-Editor) of HSD Viet Nam Co.
Reviewers (outside Language Teams)
In addition to the Editors, the BIM Dictionary is actively supported by a number of generous individuals. Many participate in blind reviews and others often send their improvement suggestions by email or social media. While we don’t know the names of all those who’ve been silently assisting us in delivering this project, we’d like to acknowledge the names we do know – many thanks to:
Joining the Editorial Team
There are two main ways to join the BIM Dictionary’s Editorial Team:
- Forming a new Language Team
- Joining an Existing Language Team
Forming a new Language Team
The BIM Dictionary is actively seeking editors for new languages and welcomes enquiries about this. To become an Editor for a Language Other Than English (LOTE), you’ll be kindly asked to demonstrate your ability to:
- Build a team of co-Editors (minimum three people) of adequate competency in both English and the LOTE;
- Identify one or more independent reviewers of high-standing in the BIM Domain (e.g. a construction industry academic) and/or a LOTE linguist; and
- Review and approve the Language Editor’s role requirements as identified in 801in BIM Dictionary Editor’s Guide.
A BIM Dictionary Language Team may be a group of passionate and well-informed individuals; an academic institution; a community of practice; or a government department. Preference is given to those who contact us first and satisfy the above selection criteria.
Joining an existing Language Team
To join an existing Language Team, please contact the Editor of the language you’d like to contribute to. It will be up to the current LOTE Editor to vet the abilities of contributors and invite them to become part of their team.
To nominate yourself or your institution/organisation to become a Country Editor (e.g Portuguese need a Brazil Editor and a Portugal Editor), please contact the Head Editor directly.
Other ways to assist
In addition to joining the Editorial Team and helping in translation, localisation and editing (Work Packages A1.12 and A1.13), there are other opportunities to join the BIM Dictionary project; please click here.